Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Oneworld buys debut novel from MA Creative Writing graduate Pim Wangtechawat!

Great news today as UK publisher Oneworld has scooped the debut novel by Thai-Chinese writer Pim Wangtechawat, a recent graduate of our MA Creative Writing programme. 

The Moon Represents My Heart was acquired in a two-book deal and will be published as the super-lead title in spring 2023. Italian rights have also been sold to publisher Keller Editore.The novel was Pim's major project while she was studying at Edinburgh Napier University from 2019-20,

The Moon Represents My Heart follows the generations of a British-Chinese family of time travellers. When Tommy’s parents time-travel and never return, time stands still. But as everyone begins to move forward, Tommy is stuck in the past which has ramifications for his life in the present. The Moon Represents My Heart is described as "a story about relationships between parent and child, whether one can accept the choices of the other, and whether they would make the same decision again".

Publisher Juliet Mabey told trade industry weekly The Bookseller that "Pim has written a truly heart-warming, richly poetic novel, brimming with tenderness, joy and loss, and I found myself rooting for each character in this immersive, multivocal time-travelling novel. Sitting in that wonderful sweet spot between literary and upmarket fiction, I’m incredibly excited to be able to include it in the launch list for our new commercial fiction imprint here at Oneworld.”

Earlier this year Pim signed with literary agent Liza DeBlock at Mushens Entertainment. "I absolutely loved The Moon Represents My Heart and Pim’s writing is gorgeous,' says DeBlock. "I laughed, I cried, and this story made me relive every best day of my life.”

"I’m beyond excited that The Moon Represents My Heart — a deeply personal debut inspired by my Chinese heritage — has found the perfect home," Pim told The Bookseller. "As an author from Bangkok writing in my second language, it is a lifelong dream to have my novel published!"

The whole Creative Writing team at Edinburgh Napier University congratulates Pim on her success, and we can't wait to read the finished novel when it is published in 2023. Time travel, family heartbreak and a surprise cameo by a famous martial arts star - it's going to be epic!

No comments:

Post a Comment